❤ Weight Loss Progress ❤

PopUpAds

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Mystic: Chapter 1 – Trauma & Bewilderment

Mystic: Chapter 1 – Trauma & Bewilderment
Mystic is a fictional story written by me. I reserve all rights to this story.


“Damn it, Rob!” I laid there on my back on the cool ground, eyes shut, and my head spinning as if I had one to many drinks.
Rob was a new stable hand for my horses. My horses were my life. I left him alone with Duchess just long enough to run into the ranch house to get a drink. As I was coming back out Duchess was tossing her head back and forth, clearly frustrated.
Idiot must have put her bit too tight. Guess I should have checked his references.
 I sat my drink on top of a fence post and hustled over. Rob was standing there pale as a ghost.
Has he even seen a horse before? Figures.
Just as I went to grab Duchess’ rein to console her, she reared up. Next thing you know, I’m laying here.
I left out a heavy sigh, eyes still shut. The ground beneath my hands felt weird. I opened my eyes and saw above me beams of light sneaking between the cover of trees. “What the hell!” I sprung into a sitting position. It felt as if my head weighed ten pounds more than usual, and my ears were ringing. I was sitting in a bed of pale green moss, beneath a mask of large trees.
Where the hell am I? What just happened?
I closed my eyes again, taking a deep breath, and reopened them expecting to see Duchess and my soon to be fired stable hand. “Am I dead?” I muttered to myself, digging the tips of my fingers into the moss.
Perhaps that idiot freaked out and dumped me in the woods somewhere thinking I was dead.
I moved onto my knees and pushed up off the ground. Brushing off my rear-end I took a look around me.
This does not look anything like home.
I caught site of what looked like a dirt path off to my left and headed that way.
I need to find someone and figure out how to get home.
Birds chirped in the trees above me as I made my way to the path. I felt a tiny bit relieved as I stepped onto the dirt.
It had to be a way out. I hope Duchess is okay.
The woods seemed sort of odd. It wasn’t thick with brush and weeds, but instead had a mossy flooring with various flowers springing up fighting for light between the trees. The air was sweet. It was almost surreal; something out of a dream. I had to reassure myself I wasn’t dead. I needed to focus on following the path.
It’s so hard to tell how much time passes when you’re in a forest alone. I left my cellphone in the ranch house like a fool. It’s not as if I was expecting to get dumped in the woods somewhere though. What was probably only minutes seemed like hours. I almost did a happy dance on the trail when I saw a clearing ahead.
Finally!
I picked up my pace eager to find out what happened and where I am. Once I reached the clearing I was entirely unprepared for what laid before me.
I stood there, left forearm upon the top of my head, right hand upon my hip. In front of me laid a meadow. Tall grasses swayed gently in the breeze. It looked untouched. Beyond the meadow was a stone wall that appeared to be about waist high; buildings resting behind it.
I found the way out alright, but what on earth is this? I’ve never seen anything like this. How far did he drive? How long was I out?
I rubbed my head with my left hand searching for a bump, but I couldn’t find one.
Am I dreaming?
I set off through the meadow to get to the town. I almost felt bad trudging through the grass. I left a smashed down trail behind me. It’s that same feeling you get when you have to walk through an untouched snowy landscape. Like you’re destroying nature’s artwork. I almost expected Mother Nature herself to pop out and scold me like a child.
When I reached the stone wall it was much taller close up. It was at least half a foot above the top of my head.
My judgment today is awful.
I ran my right hand across the stones as I walked along it searching for a way in. I certainly wasn’t about to climb it.
At least it isn’t raining.
I could hear the laughter of children floating in the breeze. I turned the corner heading right, my patience growing short. Finally I saw an opening in the wall. I rushed towards it and stepped onto a stone road. It reminded me of the roads in Portland, Maine. I went there one summer.
Did Ireland throw up on this place?
Most of the houses reminded me of the old Irish thatched cottages.
Their fire insurance must be through the roof. Hah, roof.
I saw an older woman hanging laundry and eagerly approached her. “Excuse me, but I’m lost. My horse reared up and next thing I know I woke up in the woods back that way.” I pointed off behind me. “Where am I?”
“Oh how awful!” She looked genuinely concerned as she tossed a shirt back into her basket. “You’re in Demara.”
“Demara?” I really need to rely on my GPS less. “What county are we in?”
“County?” She looked about as puzzled as I felt.
“Yes, county. You know, part of a state. Which one are we in?” I was trying not to be too impatient, but the irritation still crept out in my voice.
“Dear, I have no idea what you’re talking about.” She picked the shirt back up shaking the wrinkles out. “Did you hit your head?”
“I’ve been wondering the same thing.” I huffed. “Do you have a phone I could use, please?”
“Phone?” She pinned the shirt upside down onto the line.
“Yes, a phone!” I raised my right hand to the side of my face, curling my fingers except my pinky and thumb to depict a phone by my ear.
“Are you feeling okay?” She raised an eyebrow as she looked me up and down.
“No, no I’m not. I don’t understand any of this.” This woman must be insane. “Is there a store nearby?”
“Ah, yes! It’s down the road a piece way, on the left.” She picked up her basket and motioned in that direction. “You can’t miss it. Autumn’s Market. I can hitch up my carriage if you’d like a lift.”
“No, that’s okay. I’ll walk, but thank you!” I turned and began walking in that direction.
Carriage? This is absurd. How did that woman not know what a county was, or even a phone. Where are all the cars?
I passed a few buildings until I reached one with a wooden post outside. Hanging from squeaky chains was a sign that read ‘Autumns Market’. The building was rather homey. A chimney rose up from the side of the building and its thatched roof. It seemed rather foolish considering. The building itself was white. Large dark framed windows with delicate panes of glass, at least fifteen panes on each made the building appear as if it had eyes. The large wooden door being its nose. I walked up the path and wrapped my fingers around a metal ring that served as the handle and pulled. It didn’t budge.
“Figures.” I muttered to myself and pushed. The door squeaked in protest as I stepped inside. I half expected to see penny jars of candy. The store was dimly lit only by the sunlight. Candle sconces clung to the walls.
This must be one of those tourist trap old fashioned towns.
Wooden barrels sat to my left. The inside was much bigger than it looked. I saw the counter towards the back, stuffed burlap sacks sat on the floor against it. The counter was clear except a lock box with a notebook and quill pen resting beside it.
“Just a minute!” A female voice rang out from behind shelves full of fabric.
“May I please use your phone?” I wasn’t wasting any time.
“My what?” A woman stepped into view. She looked to be about my age. Long brown hair with a red tint fell down her shoulder in a braid. Wisps of it hanging in her face. She wore a beautiful summer dress, tie-dyed. Surprisingly she had bare feet.
“Your phone, please. I need to call home.”
I guess she didn’t hear me.
“Where are you from? I can send a letter with our messenger.” She moved behind the counter picking up her quill.
“I’m not a tourist. I’m lost! I need to call home and find out what’s going on!” Saying I was frustrated by this point would have been an understatement.
“I’m sorry. My messenger won’t leave for another two days. Maybe you could travel with him.” She put her quill back and opened her notebook. “Actually, three days.”
“You seriously don’t have a phone?” I shoved my hands in my back pockets in a sad attempt to contain my frustration.
“What is a phone? Can you describe it to me?” Autumn looked puzzled.
“A phone! You know, you use it to call people. You dial a number, it rings, you talk to someone.”
You’ve got to be kidding me.
I waited for an answer as she bent to put on a pair of moccasins. They were white with a tiny purple bow in the center of each. I never had any use for white shoes. They dirtied to quickly, and never would clean easily. Hers were immaculate though. I was always jealous of people who could be so tidy.
“I’m sorry, I’ve never heard of such a thing.”
I screamed in frustration and stormed to the door. I pushed on it, and was pushed back. “Damn it!” I stepped back grasping the metal ring to pull on it.
“Wait!” Autumn chased after me. “What happened?”
I let go of the handle and turned to her. Leaning back against the door with a huff I began to explain. “I don’t know. I was at my ranch, and I hired this new stable hand. I ran in for a drink, and he must have put Duchess’ bit too tight. Duchess is one of my horses. When I came back out she was tossing her head around and he was just standing there as if he never saw a horse before. When I tried to calm her she reared up. Next thing I know I’m lying in the middle of the freaking woods! I need to get home, and no one seems to be able to help!”
“Come with me.” Autumn reached for the handle beside me. “I think I know someone who can help.”
        I moved away from the door. “Thank you so much! You have no idea!” I followed her out and watched as she took a skeleton key that was hanging on a chain around her neck and locked the door behind us.
I haven’t seen one of those in ages.
        “Wait here. I’m going to get Stella and we’ll ride to Lance’s. He’ll be able to help.” Autumn took off behind the building.
        This is insane.
I kicked a rock; it wasn’t nearly as gratifying as I had planned. Hearing the snort of a horse I turned around. Autumn was sitting on one of the most gorgeous horses I have ever seen. Her coat was a vibrant white. Her mane was long, and fluttered in the breeze. Her bridle was absolutely stunning. It was a deep purple, which looked fabulous against the bright white of her coat. A silver pendant hung from it in the middle of her forehead. In the center of the pendant, what appeared to be a diamond sparkled in the sunlight.
        “Ready to go?” Autumn extended her hand down to help me up.
        “Yeah, how far is it?” It’d been awhile since I rode with someone else.
        “Not too far. About twenty minutes ride out of town.” Autumn clicked her tongue and we were on our way.
        “By the way, my name is Sara.” I felt a bit rude for not mentioning it sooner. I was so consumed with figuring out how to get home. Who wouldn’t be though?
        “Nice to meet you Sara. I guess you’ve figured out by now that my name is Autumn.”
        “Yeah, I kind of assumed because of the store. An older lady I met at the edge of town told me where to find you.” It didn’t take long until we reached the other end of the wall surrounding town. The stone road continued on across yet another meadow. This one stretched on as far as I could see.
        “Ah, yes. That’s Helen. She’s lived here forever.” Autumn clicked her tongue again causing Stella to pick up the pace a bit.
        The landscape rolled by and I found myself getting lost in my thoughts. I wondered how Duchess is, how I got here, and how I was going to get back home.
Maybe this is all just some crazy dream that I’ll forget when I wake up. Do you think it could be a dream while you’re dreaming? Isn’t that what makes you wake up?
        Time flew by and before I knew it we were there.
“Woah girl.” Autumn patted Stella on her mane. “Go ahead and hop off. I’m going to take Stella out back and get her some water. Wait for me here.”
“Okay.” I hopped down and stretched. My muscles were stiff from the long ride. Autumn took off in the direction of the barn. The property we were on was gorgeous. There were a few other buildings within view, but nothing close. An old wooden fence surrounded at least 5 acres of land. There were a few horses that I could make out, but not nearly as many as I would expect in that much space. Some goats and chickens wandered around the property. I thought I heard a duck, but I couldn’t see it. The house looked much like Autumns’ store, but bigger with more windows. There were two stories, and a second chimney. It looked sort of inviting, if you’re into that kind of thing. In the distance you could see a barn. It was made of stone with what appeared to be a wooden roof. It made no sense to me. A thatched roof on your own home, but a real roof for a barn.
“You coming?” Autumn stood on the path towards the house.
How long was I spacing?
“Yeah, sorry.” I jogged to catch up to her. “So, can Lance get me home?”
“I don’t know. We’ll see. If anyone can help it’s him.” Autumn knocked on the giant wooden door. “I hope he’s here.”
I could hear noise coming from inside and then I heard locks being turned open.
“Autumn!” The door swung in. Inside it stood Lance, grinning.
He had an amazing smile. He had wavy black hair. It was short, but not too short. It spiked up slightly, and then fell framing his forehead. The sides were shorter. It looked nice. A five o’clock shadow coated his jaw-line and chin. I was just taking in the site of his strong tan arms when reality kicked in.
“Come in! Who’s your friend?” He stepped back leaving us room to enter.
“Lance, this is Sara.” Autumn left me go inside first and then followed. “She’s in a bit of a situation. I thought perhaps you could help.”
“Situation?” Lance looked from Autumn to me. “Come, have a seat.” He walked through a doorway to the left of us. “You ladies must be thirsty after that long ride. Sit down, I’ll go get something.”
The inside of the house was gorgeous. The floors were a dark wood. The walls were white. The frames of the doors were the same dark wood as the floor. I was surprised I saw no pictures hanging anywhere, only wall sconces. It appeared his house didn’t have electric either.
Who would choose to live without electric?
I caught a glimpse of a fire place in one of the other rooms when we walked in.
The room he led us to wasn’t very large. It had two couches along the walls across from one another, and a single chair sat along the adjacent wall. The furniture all had dark wooden frames. A bit lighter than the flooring. The cushions were so plush it was impossible to know there was a thick wooden frame beneath them. They were a dark green, and didn’t really aid in brightening the room. In the center of the room sat a large coffee table. It was surprisingly a much lighter color then the rest of the room. A clear glass vase sat in the middle of it filled with white daisies.
This is not how I planned my day.
I took a seat on one of the couches. “These are really soft!”
        Autumn sat down in the chair. She seemed distracted and didn’t reply to my comment.
        “Here we are!” Lance came walking back in carrying a silver tray. Upon it was three empty glasses, and a glass pitcher filled with a purple juice. He sat the tray down and poured three glasses so full that you dare not have a nervous hand.
        “Grape?” I lifted the glass to my mouth inhaling the sweet aroma of the juice.
I don’t recall grape juice ever being so purple.
        “Moonberry.” Autumn chimed in.
        “I’ve never heard of that.” I instinctively moved the glass farther away from my mouth as I looked at them both.
        “Really?” Lance looked at me a bit puzzled. “It’s from the Moon tree. They’re everywhere around here. They have gorgeous purple flowers in the Spring, and then they fill with moonberries. Think of them like a blueberry, but purple, and giant. They make amazing juice, it’s my favorite.”
        “Oh, wow. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of that.” I raised the glass again. Inhaling the scent more aware this time. It did smell sweet. I took a cautious sip. The sweetness hit my tongue as I tried to decipher the taste. It reminded me of the flavor of blackberries. “Wow! That’s really good!” I took another sip. I was never a fast drinker. I was the last person you’d choose to take with you to the bar for shots. A shot could last me three sips easily.
        “I’m glad you like it.” Lance sat his glass down on the coffee table. “Now what is this situation you are supposedly in?”
        I almost choked on my most recent swallow as my current predicament came flooding back to memory, and my brain tried to blurt it all out while my throat was still swallowing. This resulted in coughing. I could feel my cheeks flushing. “Sorry.”
        “Are you okay?” Autumn sat down her drink ready to spring up. She was probably worried I would need the Heimlich.
        “Yeah, I just swallowed wrong.”
If that’s what you call it.
I sat my glass down on the table trying to hide my embarrassment. I turned my gaze to Lance. “I’m horribly lost.” I said with a sigh.
“I just hired a new stable hand today. I should have checked his references better, but that’s beside the point.” I shook my head. “I think he had the bit on one of my horses to tight and I ran out to calm her because he was just standing there staring like he never saw a horse before. She reared up right as I went to grab her reins. Next thing I know I wake up in the woods. I made my way into town. Some lady named Helen told me I was in Demara and acted like I was crazy. I asked her for directions to the nearest store, which was Autumns.” I motioned towards her.
“So I went there. I asked her for a phone, and she had no idea what I was talking about, and brought me here. I noticed none of you have electric. What’s the deal? For a tourist town this is a bit extreme?” I don’t think I even stopped to take a breath.
        “Tourist town?” Lance had leaned front listening to my story.
        Is that the only thing he got out of that entire rant?
        “You know, a themed town that people visit for an experience. Townspeople sell a bunch of souvenirs and crap and make money off of it.” I could tell by Lance’s face he had no clue what I was talking about. “What is this place?”
        “You said you knew. It’s Demara. This is my farm.” Lance sat back again. “Where are you from?”
        “Lancaster.”
“Never heard of it, have you Autumn?”
“Nope.” Autumn shook her head.
“We are still in Pennsylvania right?”
There’s no way I was unconscious long enough for Rob to take me out of state.
“Pennsylvania?” They both questioned at the same time.
“Is this a prank?” I was getting agitated.
Lance and Autumn both looked at each other. Autumn nodded her head and Lance stared at me briefly.
“Come on. I have to show you something.” Lance stood up and walked over towards me offering me a hand up.
“Finally. Some answers.” I grabbed his hand to get up. His hands were really rough.
“Autumn?” He turned back to her.
“I’m going to stay here.” She picked her glass back up off the coffee table.
“Okay.” He led me back out the front door. “Demara is a special place.”
“Everyone thinks their home is special.” I laughed. He had a charm about him. I don’t know why I trusted him so easily. Back home I’d never follow some guy I didn’t know in a strange place. Of course, maybe this is all really a dream. You can’t really get hurt in a dream.
“No. Demara is really special. Follow me.” He walked across the front of the house heading towards the old wooden fence.
I kept up behind him. “What are you showing me?”
We got to the fences and he leaned an elbow on a wooden post. “What do you see out there?”
“Horses!” My tone was a bit sassy.
Does he take me for an idiot?
Lance left out a huff, and put his foot on a lower fence rail. “Come on.” He hopped over the fence and turned around waiting for me.
“Fine.” I climbed over the fence and followed him towards the middle where he stopped.
“Celest!” He whistled, looking around the field.
A young foal came charging towards us. She was pure black head to hoof. She had feathering, much like a Clydesdale, but she wasn’t. She was different. She had a spiraled black horn protruding from the center of her forehead.
“Holy shit!” I moved behind Lance. I was not about to get impaled, but the fence was too far away. This is impossible! It couldn’t be!

No comments:

Post a Comment