❤ Weight Loss Progress ❤

PopUpAds

Sunday, January 10, 2016

My Ruff Needs Ruffing!

Chris had off from work on Saturday; it seemed like the day flew by so fast. I think it was in part because we stayed up really late Friday night and slept in pretty late on Saturday. We have a membership to a local museum, so we can visit for free as often as we want throughout the year. Chris got it for me for Valentine's last year, and we'll be renewing it. We took advantage of it yesterday. It makes for a cheap, if not free date night, and it's great even if I'm in a flare. There's benches all over the museum, so there's plenty of places for me to chill if need be, and it's naturally a quiet space so I don't get overwhelmed. Plus, elevators! There's even a planetarium! It has super limited hours though, so we actually haven't even gotten to go yet. Sort of shocking considering how much we both enjoy astronomy.

The museum changes out a lot of the displays quite regularly, so it's never just the same old thing either. And apparently with my memory some of the more stationary displays still wind up being a fun new experience. One of my favorite areas is the rocks and fossils. Upon entering that area yesterday I was all 'Ooooh, look at that!', and Chris was all 'Babe, that was there last time..' and I was all....'Shutup, I don't remember, and it's cool.'

I mean really, just look at his stupid little arms. That must have been incredibly inconvenient.

Dinosaurs and things from such eras fascinate me, and spark my imagination.

This visit I was sure to take our camera for a change. You can't photograph all of the displays unfortunately, but some of them you can. Maybe with some pictures by next time I'll still remember this silly dinosaur.

They had a really awesome vintage comic strip display up that we couldn't photograph. Some of the strips were hilarious, and there was an entire section of strips that actually featured the museum which was cool. My favorite part was reading the history of the strips, and how the content changed with the times to maintain relevancy. 

They had a lot of Victorian art as well, including some history on 'ruffs' and their relevance to some one's wealth and social status. Apparently they were really hard to make and maintain in that era, making them a status symbol. They even had some you could try on, which makes me really sad we couldn't take pictures. We looked silly. I pulled a picture from the interwebs and put it to the right so you can see what I'm talking about. Apparently the thicker your ruff, the more money you had (and sillier you looked).

One of their temporary displays that's actually ending today was a virtual realityish dinosaur experience. You basically got to sit at a giant video game and be a dinosaur. They had a few different kinds of dinosaurs you could be, and then you'd walk around and feed it, water it, interact with other dinosaurs, etc. Then they had information about the era and what each dinosaur liked to help you 'be' the dinosaur better. 

Chris and I had fun tinkering around with that for awhile. I wanted to take one of them home. They should make a version for Xbox, I'd buy it. Then again, maybe they do already?

 

Another temporary display focused on health and fitness, for people and animals! They had some neat things to tinker around with. One of the things I love about our local museum is it has a lot of hands on things. They encourage you to touch stuff (some of it anyways).



I was excited to find a wiener dog!


One of Chris' least favorite displays is the one on Pennsylvania Dutch culture. It's always there, never changes, and he says we live it so we don't need to learn about it. I still think they have cool stuff though.




I would love to get my paws on one of those hope chests. We explored some other sections including armor, weaponry, Greek art, and Egyptian mummies!


Greeks make crappy yogurt, but their art is pretty!



I found the bird helmet exceptionally amusing. So much craftmenship and time went into the things people used to wear, but some of it was really silly. It makes you wonder what people will think about the things we wear and use hundreds of years from now.


We stumbled upon these baby foxes in a local wildlife section. I was sad wondering how they came to pass, and also brought up my usual debate of whether a fox is more like a dog or a cat.


Also ran into this pretty lady who was hanging out pretty much by herself spare a few paintings.


It was a fun trip, and nice to get out of the house for a bit without spending a ton of money. All we really spent on was filling up the gas tank, and a cheap lunch from Wendy's. We hung out and played video games and watched Burn Notice when we got home, ate some buttered noodles pretty late, and then headed off to bed. I couldn't sleep for crap though again. Chris worked first shift today, and then he's off tomorrow.

My Pop ran out with me to Wally World with a gift card my Mom gave me to grab some cabbage, carrots, celery, and yogurt. Chris has off tomorrow, so I'm going to make some unstuffed cabbage rolls. Today flew by pretty quick too, he'll be home in about three hours already! He's on second shift the rest of the week, so he'll probably mostly be eating at work otherwise. It's nice that he gets to eat for free there at least.

What's one of your favorite 'date night' places to go?


No comments:

Post a Comment